Our client, one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services, is looking for a Lead Cloud Operations Engineer. The role will be taken first remotely, but then the engineer will need to go to the office at least 4 days per month.
Cloud Operations Engineers are a hybrid of systems and software engineers who are responsible for scaling, automation, and production issue support for applications. SRE’s have an intense passion for finding and improving efficiencies with infrastructure, development and deployment automation. As a Cloud Operations Engineer, you will lead the efforts of application deployment, reliability, scalability, availability and performance alongside the engineering and infrastructure teams. Cloud Operations Engineers will work closely with our Software Development & Engineering teams to build mature, production-ready services and applications. As part of the team, you will help define our standards for monitoring, alerting, scalability, and production-readiness. You will monitor and report on the uptime of our systems and services, the performance of our applications, and the capacity of our platform.
You will be empowered (yes, empowered) to apply engineering techniques and discipline to production operations and help us deliver the world’s greatest solutions. You will provide feedback into the architecture and application design for each next generation of Payment Services development. If you are the type of person that loves driving technology problem solving sessions; has a tireless passion to increase the performance, resiliency and availability of IT solutions serving the greatest Customers and Partners in the World; we believe our Cloud Operations Engineer opportunity will allow you to be the superstar of all superstars!
What You’ll Do
- Handle responsibilities for operational stability and performance of one or more critical business services used by the customers and employees.
- Enhance and Maintain complex software components and distributed systems.
- Monitor, Alert, Analyze and Troubleshoot large scale distributed systems
- Define and drive adoption of a best in class monitoring frameworks to accomplish end to end application or service monitoring.
- Work with clustering technologies - High Availability, Resiliency, Reliability and Scaling.
- Monitor and report on SLA/SLO for a given applications services
- Develop & Maintain Dashboards (ELK) - Business and Operational to establish key performance indicators & trends
- Understand the defining and execution of High Availability, Disaster Recovery, Sustained Resiliency, Chaos Engineering tests
- Lead and participate in Non-Functional Testing(performance& resilience), identifies the bottlenecks, opportunities for optimization and capacity demands
- Leverage DevOps skills and methodologies - Create and manage a continuous build, integration, test, and deployment systems. Control application code deployment servers and code deployment methods
- Control application log collection and analysis - Automate processes and systems configuration/deployment
- Partner with security engineers and developing plans and automation to aggressively and safely respond to new risks and vulnerabilities
- Design and architect operational solutions for managing applications and infrastructure, with the specific goal of increasing the automation, repeatability, and consistency of operational tasks
- Own Release & Change Management – Includes CAB Representation and Implementation of change and software releases
- Partner & Train the L1 & L1.5 Teams – Including creation and/or enhancement of SOPs, Knowledge Articles etc
- Leverage one or more general purpose programming languages: Python, Go, shell scripting (Unix/Linux), Java
- Analyze and participate in periodic on-call duties to prevent, solve and automate the response to problems on mission critical services
How You’ll Do It
- Operational stability and performance
- Work with other members of their assigned value stream to ensure that in-scope applications/platforms are meeting performance and stability requirements. This includes managing major incidents to mitigation/resolution.
- Perform post-incident reviews of all major incidents and determine action items required to avoid similar issues/minimize downtime for future incidents.
Monitors and metrics:
- Work with Application Development to ensure that assigned applications/platforms have appropriate monitoring and metrics in place to appropriately measure performance and stability.
- Identify functional and non-functional improvements:
- Act as the Operations representative in value stream planning and prioritize sessions to ensure that operational needs of assigned applications/platforms are addressed as needed. Hold quarterly operational performance reviews with value stream management.
Release planning and coordination:
- Work with other members of his/her assigned value stream to ensure that the production releases for their in scope applications/platforms are properly planned and coordinated. This includes Holds Change/Release implementation reviews to ensure thorough and appropriate implementation plans.
- Review and sign-off/approval of change tickets for the assigned value stream
- Represent the value stream at Change Advisory Board Meetings.
- Participate in Program Increment Planning Sessions as a liaison for Operations and Infrastructure support.
- Provide information regarding upcoming critical changes to the value stream.
- Ensure that applications/platforms in the value stream are operationally ready for production. This includes Annual Review of all SOPs/knowledge articles.
- Monitor review for any new feature launch or other significant change that may impact monitoring.
- Review SOP/knowledge article for any new feature launch or other significant change that may impact support documentation.
- Train Command Center and Application 1st level Support on new SOPs, knowledge articles, and any other support-related needs.
- Perform monthly capacity analysis of applications/platforms within the value stream. Create and maintain operationally focused ELK dashboards for the value stream.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in business, computer information systems, computer science, MIS, engineering, science, or related field
- Experience in Site or Service Reliability Engineering, DevOps or similar within information technology, or related field
Bonus Points If You Have
- 4+ years of experience in technology, or related field
- 5+ years of coding experience using strongly typed language Java
- 3+ years of experience in SRE, DevOps, or similar role
- 2+ years of experience with scripting languages like Python / Bash
- 2+ years of experience working with Cloud technologies – preferably AWS
- Automation tools experience such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible. Developing monitoring tools and log analysis tools to manage operations
- Familiar with design principles of monitoring and alerting systems
- Understanding of Networking concepts and experience with HTTP protocol
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. The client is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). The client thrives on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for your career.
To apply: send me your CV firstname.lastname@example.org