Time management is essential to balancing task loads and projects both professionally and in our personal lives.
1 in every 8 people never feel they have their workload under control according to a Development Academy study, with 82% having no time management system at all. Clearly learning to manage your time is of enormous professional benefit, time is money after all!
You may also like:
Here are our top tips to master time management:
1. Perform a self assessment. How are you currently managing your time? Analyse which tasks take you the longest and how you prioritise time dependant projects. Honesty is the first step. (Mind Tools)
2. Set S.M.A.R.T goals. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-bound. Break down your daily goals into a manageable, actionable plan so you can conquer your day. (SAMSHA)
3. Avoid multitasking. According to recent research only 2% of people, so called “super taskers” have the ability to truly juggle tasks efficiently. Quality over quantity! (Psychology Today)
4. Take regular short breaks. Short breaks have been repeatedly shown to improve memory, boost energy, reduce stress and boost performance and creativity, so make sure you take them. (UCL)
5. Improve your sleep quality. A good night's sleep is the first thing we sacrifice when trying to fit more into our busy lives, but it is essential for performance and overall health. (Sleep Foundation)
Perform a self assessment to uncover what area of time management you need to work on the most and use this information to set S.M.A.R.T goals. Avoid multitasking and take regular breaks to improve your concentration. Improve your sleep hygiene to maximise your sleep quality and aim for 7-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep per night.